RED Subaru

Left Rear Wheel Arch

PART ONE

 

Regular readers will have seen the saga of the bodged repairs and almost terminal rust I discovered on the right-hand rear wheel arch. Well, it will be no surprise whatsoever to know that the other side was as bad, if not worse.

 

Here are some pics of what I found and I’ll post the various stages of repairs over the next few days.

 

 

(Above) Under the arch, here looking forwards, it doesn’t look too bad: under-seal, mud and sounding solid everywhere when tapped and prodded – as the MOT man must have done last year. But, from inside the car, once the plastic trim has been removed…

 

  

 

(Above) …the now familiar sight of gaping rust holes all around the suspension tower and…

 

 

(Above) …’repairs’ made with huge amounts of filler, paper…

 

 

 

(Above) …and chicken wire. Digging around underneath naturally revealed the Bastard Bodger’s (I say that because it’s so damn dangerous) modus operandi of ‘repair’ including…

 

 

(Above) Where I’ve punctured the ‘skin’ with the screwdriver there is a layer of what looked like thin foil ‘glued’ on with silicone bathroom sealant. The rubber bump-stop is, naturally, missing. Under the under-seal, silicone and foil was a mass of rusty metal.

 

 

(Above) This lot came out with very little effort (in this pic I’ve already started repairing around the bump-stop tower on the right)   the sub-frame mounting was thankfully intact and still OK but with much of its strength gone where one side of the (now open cavity) boxed floor section is missing. The bump-stop tower was very rough too.

 

 

(Above) while the bump-stop plate (and its little raised platform) on the suspension arm was missing entirely..

 

 

(Above) With minimal cutting with the angle-grinder and pulling by hand, this is what fell out of the area where the bottom of the rear wing meets the floor and wing closing panel.

 

 

 

(Above) Here is the same lump of filler and wire in section before removal; the picture taken from inside the wheel arch at the bottom looking backwards.

 

 

 

A lot of work needed to be done: much of the wheel arch from inside the car to be cut out and replaced; lots of structural work around the sub-frame mount; the bottom of the rear wing and boot floor ‘closing plate’; the bump-stop tower, plate and stand; the main suspension tower and various odds and ends including the rear seat-back mount, the rusty brake backplate and the spring-damper unit.

 

COMING SOON: How it was done in stages…